There are some really really really long escalators in Hong Kong. They run from Central to the Mid-levels (as the name implies, the Mid-levels are quite high up).
It is an outdoor covered escalator – the longest in the world (according to Wikipedia) with over 800 metres in distance and elevates over 135 metres from bottom to top.
- Apparently the daily traffic exceeds 55,000 people, although originally forecast 27,000
- The total travel time is twenty minutes, but most people walk while the escalator moves to shorten their trip
- It consists of twenty escalators and three moving side-walks
- The escalator daily runs downhill from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and uphill from 10:30am to midnight
- Apart from serving as a method of transporting, it is also a tourist attraction and has restaurants, bars, and shops lining its route